- 2qt fresh basil leaves, packed (app. 12oz)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, (app. 2-3t)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/4 -1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender; this may need to be done in batches depending on the size of your food processor or blender
- Puree until smooth or desired consistency
- Remove and place in a container for the fridge or freezer
- Fresh pesto is a favorite to sneak into all sorts of dishes from pasta salad, salsa, dips, sauces, sandwich spreads...anything!
- We tend to use almonds the most, but try out different seeds and nuts. Traditionally the pine nut is used, but they all work pretty well.
- The better the cheese...the better the pesto. Same with the olive oil.
- Additions such as sun dried tomato, olives, and roasted garlic are fun...make it your own.
- Pesto will turn brown when left exposed to the air, so it will be normal for the surface to discolor in your container. Pour a little extra oil on top after putting the pesto in; this will help.
- Pesto will keep well in the fridge for a week or more, but also freezes well so we tend to freeze in small batches so we can pull out what we need when we need it.
- Enjoy this seasonal treat, but freeze some away so you can reminisce this winter!