- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 3 various fresh chilies, small diced
- 3-4 ribs celery, small diced
- 1T chopped garlic
- 2T coconut oil
- 3 pounds frozen creamed corn, thawed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk (13.5oz)
- 1 hand full lemongrass green, tied or banded together or 2-3 root pieces, bruised
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1T sambal chili paste
- In a 3qt sauce/soup pot, saute onion, celery, chilies, and garlic with coconut oil on medium heat until veggies are tender.
- Add cream corn, chicken stock, and coconut milk stirring to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and add lemongrass, lemon juice, and sambal.
- Allow to cook on low heat for 1-2 hours; stir frequently as corn will try to stick and scorch to the bottom if left unattended.
- Remove the lemongrass and serve.
- This recipe will make 2-3 quarts of soup, serving about 10 large( 10-12oz) or 20 smaller portions (5-6oz)
- Total preparation to eating time will be 90-120 minutes.
- Various chilies used are usually Hungarian wax, serrano, jalapeno, and poblano, but this is up to the chef and how spicy your tastes are.
- Substituting vegetable stock is fine if you need to go vegetarian.
- We like serving this soup because it is delicious, but also because it will fit in with the many gluten and dairy free diets.
- If it reduces too much and is too thick, you can adjust by adding more of the liquids used. We also add heavy cream to this soup if we do not want to use coconut milk.
- One quick tip to speed it up or just because it is good is to substitute 2-3T of red curry paste for the fresh chilies, sambal, and garlic.
- We get a lot of requests for this recipe and this is the standard version, but I think it is a little different each time we make it so have fun playing with this one!