- 9 lb cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 medium onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 2T mustard seed
- 1 1/2 t celery seed
- 1/2 t whole cloves
- 1T ground turmeric
- 1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t fresh cracked black pepper
- Combine cucumbers, onion, peppers, garlic and salt in large container and allow to set for three hours.
- After cucumbers have set, they will begin to release some of their moisture. Drain the cucumber mixture well.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and remaining spices in large stock pot and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add drained cucumber mixture to boiling vinegar mixture.
- Stirring occasionally, on high heat, bring cucumbers back to almost the boiling point, then remove from the heat.
- Pickles are now ready for canning in jars if you like, or should be refrigerated otherwise.
- They are ready to eat, but will improve in flavor if allowed to set for a few days.
- Try finding cucumbers with fewer seeds if possible, smaller the better usually.
- I have started mixing in some banana peppers in place of some of the bell peppers, you can get creative here and use any kind of peppers.
- Amount of pickles produced will vary some, but you should end up with 4-6 quarts
For many more recipes and video tutorials, CLICK HERE!