- 2 ½ pounds Vidalia Onions, medium sliced
- 2 T chopped garlic
- ¾ cup melted butter
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ qt chicken stock
- ½ cup wild rice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 bay leaves
- In large soup pot, cook onions, garlic and butter over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Add flour and mix until combined.
- Add chicken stock and whisk well.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Add wild rice, bay leaves and heavy cream.
- Cook on a low simmer for at least one hour, stirring frequently.
Soup is great made ahead. You may need a little more chicken stock to adjust consistency after cooling. Other onions may be used or other vegetables added, but we like to show off these great onions in their prime every spring. This recipe yields approximately one gallon. Remove bay leaves before serving. Makes 32 4-oz servings.
For many more recipes and video tutorials, CLICK HERE!